The home instruction regulations are found in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.10.01. The purpose of these regulations is to establish a procedure to be used by the superintendent of each local school system to determine if a child participating in a home instruction program is receiving regular, thorough instruction during the school year in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age.
https://www.marylandpublicschools.org/about/Pages/DEE/NPSA/Home-Instruction.aspx to access MSDE information on COMAR regulations regarding Home Instruction.
2022-2023 End of the Year Portfolio Submission
Dear Home-Schooling Families,
Hello! The second semester will be ending June 14, 2023. In accordance with COMAR and our Home Instruction by Parents procedure, your child's portfolio of materials will be reviewed at the conclusion of each semester of the local school system at such times "as are mutually agreeable" between the families and our home instruction review staff. As we prepare to complete these reviews, you are asked to review the important information below which includes options for the manner of review.
- The portfolio should demonstrate the parent or guardian is providing regular, thorough instruction in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age. A method to show regular instruction and of sufficient duration could be dating the papers submitted.
- The portfolio should include evidence of regular and thorough instruction in English, math, science, social studies, art, music, health and physical education.
- The portfolio should include relevant materials such as instructional materials, reading materials, examples of child's writing, worksheets, workbooks, creative materials and tests.
- Home instruction may include part-time or full-time enrollment in courses offered by accredited and unaccredited colleges. Please contact the home instruction office to determine the easiest way to submit the grades/transcript evidence for these courses.
- Portfolios can be submitted in several ways.
o Electronically using the Google form link below.
o Drop off/ mail to: WCPS 2424 Northgate Drive Salisbury MD 21802-1538 Attn: Home Instruction.
o Scheduled Zoom, Facetime or Facebook Messenger video call.
o Scheduled in-person review with several review days available for your convenience. The directions for scheduling will be posted on the Home Instruction page at wcboe.org.
- Helpful hint for using the Google form: The Google form is open for approximately 60 days prior and 60 days after the end of the first and second semesters to allow parents to find a suitable time to utilize the form. The form will accept Word, PowerPoint, JPEG and PDF files with several pages as one entry. Choosing to upload pictures in a JPEG format takes more data space and will limit your upload.
Scan the QR code to open the Google Form for the end of the year 2022-23 portfolio submission or type this link: tinyurl.com/3xu6y3c8
If you would like to schedule an in-person review, please contact 410-677-4429. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Michael Ann Yiannouris